Thursday, February 16, 2006

Three for One

One:

If you do not read Free Grace Theology from Antonio, you are missing a treat.

Whether you are a Calvanist, an Armenian, a Calmenian, an Arvanist, he has a very interesting and arresting style of writing and is, shall we say, firm in his theology.

Another interesting, thought provoking blog is Jeff H's Think Sink. Give these a shot and see whether you are challenged.

Two:

A further thought on my previous blog about commitment.

From the comments, there is some confusion as to what "commitment" means.

Let's put it this way: If "commitment" does not mean "determining to see something through to the end no matter what, never, never, never giving up, " then we are going to have to come up with a new word that does mean that.

But that won't be necessary, since we already have a word to mean that. The word is "Commitment."

Can you be committed and then quit being committed?

Not really.

You can be fervent about something and lose your fervency.

You can be emotionally involved with something and then lose your emotionalism about it (happens in lots of marriages).

You can be intellectually attached to something and then change your mind.

(You can be prohibited from fulfilling a commitment by outside forces over which you have no control, such as illness, injury, moving or the like, but these will not affect your commitment to the person of Christ.)

But, by definition, you cannot be committed to something and then come uncommitted.

That is not about salvation, it is about behavior and attitude.

I have iterated it once, and I now reiterate: Be committed to the Lord. You will thereby find His greatest joy for you.

Three:

Neither is yours.

A perfect church, that is.

There are no local congregations of believers (churches) that are perfect.

Now, if you could just get the people out of the churches you wouldn't have as many problems. But that might not work so well.

Let's face it. We are all human. We do stupid things. We do illogical things. We do unspiritual things. We say things we should not say. We think things we should not think. We make decisions we should not make. We go places we should not go.

And so on.

Christians are, by nature of their humanity, wierd. Christians are so wierd that if it were not for Jesus, I would not be one.

We are all members of the Body of Christ(the Church). But sometimes I think we have a few too many spleens and bile ducts and not enough hearts, feet and hands.

Which one are you, by the way?

13 comments:

Jeff H said...

Thanks for the mention.

Now, some questions: you say "Whether you are a Calvanist, an Armenian, a Calmenian, an Arvanist...", but I'm a satirist. Where do I fit in?

And, about commitment, you say "Can you be committed and then quit being committed? Not really." So, when they signed my commitment papers, that means I'm never getting out of here, doesn't it? I'm doomed. Hope you don't mind reading my posts done in crayon from now on.

Joe said...

Jeff H.: Let's make a philosophical distinction between being committed and being committed.

Wait a minute...that's confusing.

OK: distinguish between...oh never mind.

As for being a satirist, don't worry about it. I have always stood up for satirists. Some of my best friends have been satirists.

No wait...that was sadists.

Antonio said...

"If you ever find a perfect church, don't go there. It would then cease to be perfect anymore." (Howard Hendricks).

Jeff H said...

Thank the Lord you didn't say "satyrists"...

Danny Sims said...

Many people say I should be committed.

:)

Joe said...

danny: I know just how you feel.

Rose~ said...

Antonio always has so many quotes at his fingertips.

Good post, Joe! I know exactly what you are saying about commitment. Your reasoning makes sense to me. Then again, I'm with Jeff ... I may need to be committed.
:~)

Jenny said...

I am a nose hair.

Thanks for sharing this, Joe. I haven't been around much lately, but EVERY TIME I visit your blog, you share some amazing bit of information that I needed to be reminded of, or told in the first place.

Curious Servant said...

Just checking in and catching up on your posts.

God bless!

Zoanna said...

Which am I? Well, depends. I'm usually a mouth, sometimes a hand or two, often an appendix on the verge of rupturing, sometimes a tear duct, frayed nerve or cochlea. But on certain days I am just a calloused heel.

Anonymous said...

I've been accused of being the rear end, not sure what they meant by that of course! lol!

Bonnie S. Calhoun said...

Oh, Joe...LOL...those are not the anatomy parts that I would have mentioned...LOL...but you are so much nicer than I!

Antonio...that was the quote I was going to use..LOL

I so agree with your post Joe...I would be lost without the Lord. I don't understand how people who 'seem' committed could walk away!

Joe said...

curious servant: Thank you for checking in. I had never visited your blog(s), but did today and found them to be extremely well written, touching the heart and thought provoking, especially the Job posts.

Job is my favorite OT book, a story of faith, helplessness, dispair, joy, misued religiosity, and God's healing.

Thank you for your contribution to the blogosphere.