Sunday, February 19, 2006

Sunday Praise

As you have told us in your word, Oh Lord, you have lifted us from the mud and mire and set our feet on the rock of Jesus.

From the unfathomable depth of our sin, you, in your loving kindness, have sent your Son to redeem us.

From before the stirring of our hearts by your Holy Spirit caused us to turn in faith to you, believing, you pierced the brow of Jesus, you tore his hands and feet with nails and placed on Him our iniquity.

And for your love, mercy and grace, we give ourselves to you.

Though we cannot understand why your would have saved the likes of us, we offer you our praise for having done so.

He Lifted Me
by Charles H. Gabriel
http://my.homewithgod.com/heavenlymidis2/helifted.html

In loving-kindness Jesus came
My soul in mercy to reclaim,
And from the depths of sin and shame
Through grace He lifted me.

From sinking sand He lifted me,
With tender hand He lifted me,
From shades of night to plains of light,
Oh, praise His name, He lifted me!

He called me long before I heard,
Before my sinful heart was stirred,
But when I took Him at His word,
Forgiv'n, He lifted me.

From sinking sand He lifted me,
With tender hand He lifted me,
From shades of night to plains of light,
Oh, praise His name, He lifted me!

From sinking sand He lifted me,
With tender hand He lifted me,
From shades of night to plains of light,
Oh, praise His name, He lifted me!

His brow was pierced with many a thorn,
His hands by cruel nails were torn,
When from my guilt and grief, forlorn,
In love He lifted me.

From sinking sand He lifted me,
With tender hand He lifted me,
From shades of night to plains of light,
Oh, praise His name, He lifted me!

Now on a higher plane I dwell,
And with my soul I know 'tis well;
Yet how or why, I cannot tell,
He should have lifted me.

12 comments:

Jim said...

That's a great hymn. Amen!

Curious Servant said...

Thank you for the kind comment today.

I was here earlier, but didn't leave a note.

It has been an interesting journey. We'll see what happens.

Today's sermon was full of challenge. Can we trust God to raise this money through us?

I need to think through this, I need to ray through this, but in the end, I think I will follow my heart.

I feel a post coming on!

Joe said...

curious servant: post away!

J. Wendell said...

Hi Joe,

The hymns you feature on "Sunday Praise" are some of my most favorite and cherished hymns. Whenever someone starts talking about these sacred treasures as
outdated, my wife tells them, "Don't get him going on hymnology..."
I may not know what that word means, but I reply with, "What's wrong with the old hymns? Are you bored with the old gospel, too?!"

Joyce said...

I enjoy visiting here, and especially enjoy Sundays. I still love the old hymns--but also like a lot of the contemporary ones. Thanks for always being a good read, Joe!

Gordon said...

Thanks for the good ol' stuff, Joe. You can't beat the hymns.

Anonymous said...

Jesus loves us so no matter who we are and he deserves our praise.

Kc said...

Amen. "...you have lifted us from the mud and mire and set our feet on the rock of Jesus". "How Firm a Foundation" came straight to mind but your selection is most excellent as always. ;-)

Joe said...

Thanks to all for your kind comments.

As a worship leader, I feel an obligation to expose my congregation to the great hymns of the faith and the doctrines they espouse.

I also love contemporary music, and incorporate it into our worship services, too.

The "old folks" should be made to endure the "young folks" music and the "young folks" should be made to endure the "old folks" music.

That way everybody has a chance to be offended or to learn to get along.

Not all churches can get away with that, but ours has...so far.

Danny Sims said...

We'd call a family that was so one-sided that the grandparents couldn't talk dysfunctional. I know churches that do that and they call it "progressive."

Church has to speak many languages to be relevant and healthy. Nice job.

Darlene Schacht said...

I was lifted to a higher plane, and when I was, it meant so much. But as I dwelled for a while up there with Him, I had forgotten from where I came.

Today I was reminded to look back and see where I came from. I read the words out loud to Him while tears filled my eyes.

I'm glad that you're the first blog I read today. I needed to remember the words I spoke to God before falling asleep last night, "Father I will hold your hand, and together we will walk."

steve said...

Praise God! He is good!