Thursday, February 23, 2006

Director? Of What?

As a worship leader, one of my assignments is to direct the music ministry of our church.

What does that mean?

It means that, working with the Music Committee, I oversee the calendaring of music events. Selection of music is also one of my (our) jobs. I (we) also establish music policy, develop the music budget, determine the space for music groups to use, and plan, coordinate and evaluate the worship services of the church.

All of those events take place out of sight of the congregation.

It is not until I step onto the platform on Sunday morning, evening or whenever, that the congregation becomes aware of me.

At that time, I become the music director.

I give a down-beat and I expect the musicians to react.

I tell them when to start.

I tell them when to stop.

I tell them when to sing or play fast and when to sing or play slowly.

I tell them how loudly to perform and how softly.

I expect them to sing or play their respective parts: soprano; alto; tenor; bass; drum; guitar; trumpet; claranet; oboe; harp; piano; organ or whatever.

In order for it to work, each member MUST do as I say when I say. I certainly cannot do them all. They must.

When that happens, so does beautiful, God honoring music.

When it does NOT happen, chaos does.

In fact, when I step in front of the musicians, I become a dictator. A benevolent one, but a dictator, none the less.

It's a big responsibility...and a real trip!

If I did not accept the dictatorship, I would not be doing my job and the congregation would leave at the end of the service saying, "What was that the (choir, praise team, instrumentalists) was doing? That was terrible!"

For me to do my job, each musician must relinquish his/her will to "mine."

That's the way it should be with the church body.

Christ is the Director.

He tells us what to do, when to do it. how to do it, where to do it and even why (sometimes). He does so in His word.

Our job (corporately) is to do what He says.

If we do, we progress in harmony and unity.

If we do not, the result is chaos.

"My way!" "No, MY way!" "No, no, no! It has to be MY way!"

"I don't like the way 'they' are doing this or that, so I'm going to pick up my ball and go home."

"You need to pray and do what God wants you to do. Oh, but I don't have to, because I already know how this or that should be done."

"They picked the wrong carpet color, against my argument in business meeting, and I'm MAD!"

"That Youth Director tried to tell my kid how he/she should dress in church. How DARE he?"

"The preacher stepped on my toes and I'm not going to have it!"

"I was really hurt by this event or that happening, and I'm not going to put up with it any more!"

"Did you hear what HE/SHE said about me?" "What nerve!"

Wouldn't the church experience be much better if you (and I) took personal responsibility to follow the director (whether the others do or not), Christ, and be a unit of harmony in the body?

We must relinquish our wills to Him.

All to gether now, uh-one and uh-two and uh 1, 2, 3, 4.

9 comments:

Kc said...

Humility is prerequisite to submission and that requires that pride be sacrificed. That stinking deadly pride that, more often than not, is our dictator. Great post brother.

Jim said...

Joe, I am in the position of being asked to take more responsibility in the leading of worship (praise in the form of singing). I would love any tips you may have for me, you can reach me through my email address on my blog profile.

Do you have formal musical training? It sounds like you are conducting quite the symphony there.

God bless,
Jim

J. Wendell said...

Hi Joe,
That was beautiful music to my ears.

May God bless you and your ministry team as you continue to follow the Director.

brother John

J. Wendell said...

P.S. Unless you strictly object, I will be using all, or parts of this post in one of my future series on… ;)

Wes Kenney said...

Excellent words. Thanks for a beautiful reminder.

I was a music director for five years. I'm jealous I never thought of this as an illustration...;-)

Anonymous said...

wow Joe, were you reading my mind today, you sure meddled in my business. lol

For the last two days, I have been struggling with doing something and I know it is what God wants me to do, but I want to do something else! So I have been reluctant to do anything. I know God is not going to change His mind so I might as well get with the program!

Joe said...

kc: Pride is the essence of sin.

Jim: I have conducted symphonies in the past. Now I have a 12 voice choir, two guitarists, a drummer, a bass and a pianits.

J. Wendell: Steal away.

wes kenney: Thank you for your presence and comments.

live, love: Good idea! Get with
His program.

J. Wendell said...

Thanks Joe!

Joyce said...

This is a great analogy. I am always encouraged when visiting here. Well, almost always. I'm not so sure about the "women" posts. :)