Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Once More...Pilate

The gloom settled in over the marble floor like a soupy smog.

The Procurator sat with his head down, weighted there by the depression slowly rolling in on him.

The events of late had left him drained. The dream. His wife. The trial.

And now it was about to begin again.

Into the outer court they came. The soldiers. Enough of them to guard a menacing murderer.

Their charge looked tired, weary and worn. Hardly worthy of such an escort.

The Jews cowering along behind them should not even have been there. It was almost Passover, and they should have been home preparing.

Pilate sat for a long time, not looking up. He wondered why they did not come in to him.

Forever came and went.

At last, Pilate lifted his head, stood and went to the courtyard.

"Why. "

It wasn't really a question. More of a moan.

Finally, "Why have you brought this man back to me?"

"Your Procuratorship, please. We only want to show our undying alegience to Rome. If he were not a criminal, we would not have brought him to you." It was the voice of the one they called Chief Priest.

"We knew you would be wise enough to handle this case."

Pilate stood there with an expression of weary contempt. He spoke, "Take him to your court and try him and judge him by your own law."

This will not do. The mind of Chief Priest raced. We need to be rid of him. He is a danger to us. We want him dead.

"Please, your lordship, we are lowly servants of Rome. In your brilliance, you know we have no right to execute anyone. You must handle this for us."

Pontius Pilate turned and walked slowly into the palace.

A heavy sigh was followed by, "Bring him to me."

Jesus followed the guards without resistance.

Pilate gazed into the eyes of the pitiful, putrid man facing him.

"Haven't we already had enough of this?" he was more sad than mad.

"Tell me, Jesus, once and for all, are you king of the Jews?"

"Is that your own idea, or did others talk to you about me?"

"You know, I am not a Jew," said Pilate, with some agitation in his voice. "How would I know a thing like that?

"Your people brought you to me, your priests. What have you done to anger them so? Why do you insist on letting them think you are king of the Jews? You frighten their stupid little minds. Don't you understand? They are afraid of you.

"Besides, you will never be king, of the Jews or anybody else. Look at you! You are nothing more than a vagabond, itinerate preacher. You....are...not...a...king."

"My kingdom is not of this world. If it were, my servants would have fought to prevent my arrest by both the Jews and you.

"My kingdom is from another place."

"Oh! So you are a king, then?" Pilate's tone was incredulous. I cannot believe what I am hearing. This man is delusional.

A fire suddenly flared in Jesus' eyes. "You are right in saying I am a king. In fact, for this reason I was born and for this I came into the world, to testify to the truth. Everyone on the side of truth listens to me."

Arrgh! Why does he keep persisting? Doesn't he know I have the power to execute him?

"What is truth?" He had turned to walk away as he asked the question.

Standing at the courtyard, Pilate addressed the Jews.

"I find no basis for a charge against this man.

"Here's what I can do, and this will be the last of it.

"Every year at your Passover holiday, it is customary to release to you one prisoner. I have two: this man, Jesus and a felon named Barabbas. I will release one to you to do with as you wish.

"I can release Jesus to you, if you wish."

In almost planned unison they shouted, "No! Not him! Barabbas! Release to us Barabbas!"

"And what would you have me do with Jesus"

"Crucify him!" came the frenetic reply. "Crucify Jesus!"

What is it with these people? This is going to be so much trouble. Maybe if I just beat him to within an inch of his life they'll see the horror of it and let it be.

And Pilate ordered the beating of Jesus.

"Take him!" It was to the Captain of the Guard he spoke. "Use the straps with the glass and iron in the end of them and give him thirty nine lashes. Hit him hard and rip his flesh. Make him look near death. But don't let him die."

And it was done as Pilate ordered.

5 comments:

jel said...

thanks for doing this !

Curious Servant said...

Thanks Joe

David Edward said...

thanks for putting the passion back in this week

Bonnie S. Calhoun said...

Beautiful, Joe...it gives me chills...I can picture it in my head!

Jim said...

Move over Passion of the Christ, here comes Scoggin Productions

Wow Joe, that really adds color to the story.

God bless,
Jim