When I teach a class, whether in Sunday School, Discipleship Training, or whatever, the technique I most often use is to ask a series of questions leading to a specific conclusion.
The first questions are ones I know the participants know the answers to.
Then I progress to the tougher ones that get to the point of the lesson.
This style of teaching would be disallowed in a court of law because it would be considered "leading the witness."
But in a class setting it really encourages discussion and gets a lot of people involved.
Here's the key: The questions must be adjusted to the group. If you do that, it does not matter the age of the group, they can get involved.
Suppose I am teaching John 3:16 "For god so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
I might begin with such an elementary question as: Who inspired the Bible?
Usually this gets the response: God.
Someone in the class will know that.
Then I might ask: Did He do it recently, or a long time ago?
"A long time ago," someone will say.
By now people are beginning to relax, thinking, "This is going to be easy. Maybe even boring."
Next, I'll ask something like, "So how long is everlasting?"
"Forever."
"OK, good. What does 'forever' mean?"
Usually this gets a few brave souls to try to venture an opinion or two which we will discuss long enough, but not long enough to flush it out completely.
The next question I might ask may be something like: Where did you get that idea? Did you just think of it or did someone tell it to you?
That question is a pivot point.
It is a question I think we should be asking more often, of ourselves and others.
Question: Where did evolutionists get the idea that things in the universe evolved?
Answer: They were taught it by someone.
Question: Why did you believe them?
Answer: (either) 1) They're the teacher. or 2) They are certified by the State of Florida to teach, they MUST know what they are talking about.
Aside: This begs the question, "How come 30% of public education students in the State of Florida, every last one of whom was taught by a 'certified' teacher cannot read their own diploma?"
The point of all of this is that most people either have no respect for learning at all, or think that everything they are taught is absolute truth, even when they are taught that there is no such thing as absolute truth.
Very few people are able to be independent thinkers.
Sadly, that includes Christians.
Most Christians spout the "party line." They regurgitate the doctrines, philosophies and beliefs of whoever it was who taught them, as long as that person was personable, funny, charismatic (in the Biblical, not the denominational sense of the word), or some combination of the above.
It is grevious that so few really delve into God's Word to learn it well enough to apply it to their actual lives.
Even if they do, they try to take bits and pieces, here and there, and form some kind of life-view that is void of the point(s), principles and ultimate teaching of the Word.
Most of all, they tend to see Scripture as a rule set by which people, especially others, are to be judged.
They fail to relate every word, jot and tittle to the person of Christ.
Yet He is the whole point. There is no other.
I urge you to learn to think independently of others, while learning from their input, but dependent on the leadership of the Holy Spirit.
I implore you to study the Word, not for its history (though that is important, of course), not for its sociology (though that is important, of course), not for its science (though that is important, of course), not for its psychology (though that is important, of course), not for its philosophy (though that is important, of course), but for its revelation of God in Christ and His claim on your life.
You will be astonished at the difference it will make.
Don't you think?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
15 comments:
Using the dialectic technique to teach Sunday School? Hmmm, I guess why not.
It is the favorite technique of the humanists in advancing their philosophies.
God bless,
Jim
Thanks for the focus. Another great post Joe.
Great post and interesting teaching style...I must endeavor to copy that! LOL
jim: Would you say that the humanists' use of the dialectic renders it inappropriate for us to use?
Is the dialectic an effective way to indoctrinate people?
Do we want people to know right doctrine, that is: be properly indoctrinated?
Does the fact that humanists also use other methods mean that we should not use those methods either?
Did Jesus ever use the dialectic method, especially when facing the scribes and pharasees?
Does whether Jesus used the method make a difference as to whether we should also use the method?
Did you figure out that the use of the dialectic was not the point of the post?
kc: As always, you are an encourager. Thanks.
bonnie: Do you think I would approve of you copying my style of teaching? Of course I would!
Amen Joe! I have a friend who reads alot of books by christian authors, and we have bible study twice a week, but she doesn't really get into the Word. I explained to her, that falling in love with His Word is what brings us into a closer relationship with Him because He speaks to us personally through His word and we can't expect God to tell others what He wants to share with us personally. This is good, I will print it and let her read it. Thanks Joe!
Good one. I'd like your class.
Great thoughts, Joe! I think I would like your class also.
Thanks Joe,
I need to dig deeper
take care
Yes, teacher, I believe exactly as you say.
{just kidding}
Biblical illiteracy is a huge problem, and not just for Christians, but for our whole society and the wider world. And I'm not limiting that to any spiritual or "religious" area, but to a more complete understanding of history, science, the entire scope of human knowledge and endeavor. Because ultimately, as you so correctly point out, Jesus is THE point of it all.
Joe,
The dialectic technique is designed to get the participants to replace their own ideas and plans with the preset conclusions of the facilitator, giving them the impression that it was a group effort that brought about the resolution.
I believe what you are saying here is that rather than simply take what some other person has taught us at face value, we need to examine everything in the light of scripture. By engaging the class, you increase participation and enjoyment of the subject material, enabling a greater sense of understanding.
Further, the goal you are desiring is an understanding that the Bible is not simply a book of knowledge but a revelation of the person of Christ and His character. Our purpose is to become intimately acquainted with this man, who is everything we need. Kwowing Jesus is our highest goal and joy.
God bless,
Jim
jim: Sometimes I think I am a real dummy.
I probably should have let you write this post for me. You did such a good job of deciphering what I meant.
Here's what I thought I meant: After 47 years as a Christian and Bible studier, there are some things I know that I want my class members to know.
By asking a series of properly designed questions I can lead them to the knowledge of those things without forcing them to listen to me pontificate about them.
I can also pontificate, but I have notice that fewer people pay attention to what is going on when I do, and fewer people learn the Biblical principles I'm trying to get across to them.
I enjoy the interaction with them and assume they with me.
I could be wrong, I was once last year (just ask Rose).
The whole point, of course, is to let them assimilate the Word of God into their own minds and life experience, while involving them in the learning process.
It works pretty well.
Joe, underneath all that hair is a magnificent thinking machine!
here is the situation for me, I was so spiritually ignorant when I came to faith in Christ that EVERYTHING was a huge revelation and I attribeted great depth to all teachers who passed on any tidbit of truth. This truth transformed my life. Now the challenge is to see the old truths through my new realist glasses. Jesus is the reason for the whole of scripture, and the reason for my faith. I am at a pivot point now, and will be weighing so many things in the balance against what the Lord, my God is wanting to accomplish in and through me.
david: Thank you. I will pray that you find the scales tipped in the direction of God's will for you.
Joe, there is a great need for teachers that will creatively engage their students such as you are doing. If you can put the question in their mouths instead of forcing them to rejurgitate an answer you have succeeded in truly making them think.
I am honoured by your words, and I did not intend to attack your post but simply discuss this method a bit. I think those in your class are probably receiving quite the blessing from someone who genuinely desires them to not only learn biblical truth, but also be drawn closer to Christ.
jim: I did not feel attacked, though if I had it would not have mattered. I simply wanted you to know why I use the method(s) that I do.
And to challenge your thinking as well.
Mine, too.
Post a Comment